Monday, July 2, 2007

Chocolate Goo Cakes


Some people call them lava cakes, the Take Home Chef calls them Chocolate Fondants, and I call them Chocolate Goo Cakes. After making them once, you will want to make them for every event! They are impressive, delicious, and almost too chocolaty, if that is possible. I've already made them quite a few times using the Take Home Chef's recipe at, http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/takehomechef/recipes/episode121_03.html. I thought I might be able to improve upon them, but I couldn't, they are perfect as is. I do have a few tips though. I've tried them using both margarine and butter, and I prefer butter. The margarine leaves a taste in your mouth that you can pretty much identify as margarine when you eat it. Butter actually leaves no flavor, so you can enjoy the chocolate! Also a tip for those who love chocolate but do not like it so intensely. I've tried using a portion of the 60% cocoa chocolate and a fourth or a half of a different type of chocolate such as semisweet. It does tone down the chocolate a little, but I highly suggest trying the original recipe before altering it in any way. I do not make the sauce, you do not need it! It is best served with fresh whipped cream and raspberries, and/or vanilla ice cream. You will impress yourself and everyone else with these! ***Note*** You will be tempted to leave them in longer than they should be. The tops will be a bit jiggly when you are supposed to take them out. They continue to cook a little while they are sitting outside the oven for the three to four minutes. If you leave them in too long they will just cook through, not as impressive and not as tasty. I think the average amount of time that was about perfect for me (and I have done them in various altitudes) is about nine to nine and a half minutes. Good Luck!

No comments: