Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Chocolate Chipless Cookies


My grandma used to make these for my dad when he was little because he wasn't a fan of chocolate. I know crazy right! Turns out they are really good. I normally make half of them without chocolate chips and then I throw some chips in for the remaining half. These are also great for anyone who can't have chocolate for any reason (allergies etc.), and they won't be missing out on anything!

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda (dissolved in 1 TBS hot water)
3/4 cup roughly chopped pecans (or 7 oz chocolate chips) (or mix a little of both!)

Sift flour and salt together. Add shortening, brown sugar, sugar, egg, and vanilla and beat to combine. Combine baking soda with hot water until dissolved, then mix into batter thoroughly. Add nuts and beat until well blended. Drop onto lightly greased cookie sheet (About golf ball size, made 17 cookies for me). Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

No comments: