Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup


There is nothing like the comfort of homemade chicken noodle soup. So, here is a basic recipe just because I believe simplicity and freshness is the key here. I got all of my vegetables at a local farmer's market and it was surely worth it. You may care to adjust the amounts, personally I enjoy more "stuff" than broth so I add lots of everything, it's also quite filling this way.
Ingredients:
2 1/2 to 3 lb frying chicken cut up (I usually buy a 5 to 6 lb chicken, cut in in half right up the back and save the other half for something else)
10 1/2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bouillon
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup sliced celery
1 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
3 cups wide egg noodles
extra salt and pepper to taste
Place chicken pieces and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Skim the top, then add bouillon, specified amount of salt and pepper, bay leaf, and only 1/2 cup of the onion. Simmer covered for an additional 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken pieces, allow to cool a bit then remove the meat and shred. Skim the surface and add the meat back into the pot along with the carrots, celery, and remaining onion. Once again bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer for 15 more minutes then remove bay leaf. Bring to a boil and drop in the noodles. Cook uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or until noodles are done. I then add more salt and pepper to taste. I add even a few teaspoons of salt and maybe one or more of pepper, but that's my personal taste. Serve with buttered french bread.



No comments: